Thursday, September 12, 2013

在翻译中丢失

So, I said I was going to do a blog centered on Chinese culture. So I'll start with a few of the questions people posed to me:

1) What's the weirdest thing you've eaten?

I think jelly fish probably takes the top of the list. I spoke in an earlier blog entry how it tasted like jellified soy sauce. It was a gross experience and I have no desire to try it again. I also tried bull frog, which was not so bad. One weird food worth mentioning was a strange Chinese shrimp taco I had. The shrimp wasn't exactly shrimp though; it was a sort of shrimp bark substances that I smashed into the taco with a weird sauce.

2) (paraphrased) What is the general climate of Christianity in China?

It's difficult for me to speak to that, as my Chinese is way too limited to explore the topic with others. So I posed the question to members of an international church that I met. It's important to understand how Christianity has evolved in America. Our nation was founded under many Christian principles, which has benefitted our countries in many ways up until this day. It's unfortunate and unintended side effect was that Christianity became so engrained into the culture, that for a while it could hardly be disassociated with American culture itself. People were Christians because they were Americans, not always necessarily reflecting a change in heart. Thus, the doorway for intense legalism and hypocrisy crept in. Now, as American culture grows and evolves, it seems to have outgrown Christianity.

Now look at it from China's perspective. Christianity, as it appears to them, is far more (but not entirely) presented in its purest form. There is no dogmatic distortions of American culture to muddle with the Gospel belief system. Thus, Christianity can be viewed by the fruits of its followers. And in that, Christianity has a good reputation. For instance, businesses looking to start construction on new buildings look for Chinese Christian contractors, because they know that they can be trusted. In ways like that, Christianity is, in general, viewed as having a positive impact on the community it is in.

However, it is an Atheist nation, and it is important to know that Christianity seems very irrelevant to the every day like a Chinese person. It doesn't have enough face time in their lives to be controversial.

3. What has surprised you most about Chinese culture - good and bad?

These surprising learning moments for me are to classify under good and bad. I will say it is disheartening to see ethics and integrity play an insignificant role in the business lives of Chinese people. I find myself getting manipulated and deceived all the time by people see me only as potential for money.

However, it has been amazing to see the sweet, kind heart of my Chinese coworkers. They seem to work so much harder than me and have so much more responsibility, and yet they go out of their way to help me and assist me. They are always smiling at me. Talking with them is often times the best part of my day.

4. Tell us more about the Chinese kids!

Kids are kids are kids. There are some who are adorable, some who are challenging, some who don't listen, and some who want to be your best friend.  I love the kids I teach. Their English names are chosen arbitrarily, so they come up with cute names like "Happy" and "Dragon." They love cute English names like "Cici," "Kitty," and "Jerry."

They are absolutely fascinated by my arm hair. That's why I created a rule in class never to let them get to close to me. If my arms are within reaching distances from them, they immediately stop hearing a word I say and start playing with my arm hair.

They love being goofy and silly, and I love being goofy and silly with them. We sing songs, dance, play games. I've taught some of them fist pounds. They're really cute. Learning tough discipline has been a taxing experience, but probably an important skill set to have.

Those are the only questions I was asked. Here's some bullet points of other small Chinese stuff"

a) Don't use the American way of beckoning some over to you with your hand. That is considered a degrading gesture saved for dogs. Instead, flip your hand around with your fingers facing the ground and wave them over that way.

b) Do not write someone's name in red. Older generation perceive that as a curse!

c) Avoid conversations about Taiwan. Yikes.

d) Being white = MONEY. You will be fending off a lot of street solicitors. It's good to learn the words "Bu yao (Don't want)," as you will be using it to fend off watch salesman, cigarette vendors, and pimps.

e) Chinese people LOVE it when you use Chinese. Service people are pretty jaded, but it's quite the party trick in Chinese social settings.

Oh well, I'm tired of writing. I'm still loving it.

Zaijian!

1 comment: