Friday, November 22, 2013

Facing Off

So great news, e'erbody! I'm sick!

I woke up to my alarm this morning, sat up, and then my throat ambushed me. My throat was in such an awful state that getting it to function in any way was agony. Better yet, today's the day where I usually must teach 4 90-minute classes. I knew if I did that, my throat would get more diabolical in its plans for revenge.

So I'm out home today, just resting. Here's the bright side though: I left my wallet at work. So after scrounging, I found about 18 kuai in my room. That's enough to get me some water and some soup. Tonight, I'll pick up my wallet from a coworker.

Shanghai has been fuuuuun recently.

I just saw Catching Fire on Thursday night. It was my first time in a Chinese theater. I'm going to rate my experience overall as a 6.5. The screen was bigger and better quality than I anticipated, so that's good. But here's a few weird quirks of the Chinese movie theater:

1) The movie begins promptly at the start time, and there are no previews. Our show time was 10:20. My friends and I got in there at 10:23, and so we missed the first 3 minutes.

2) The popcorn is SWEET, which is a travesty. I was so excited for my buttery tub of popcorn, and was majorly disappointed. Get it together, Chinese theater!

3) They have no qualms closing everything down in the middle of your late movie. That means if you're the last movie playing, then when you exit the theater, everything will be dark and closed up, and you'll be escorted out the side exit.

4) The entrance from the outer hall to the theater is right next to the screen. Now more than ever I appreciate the design of American theaters, in which the entrance is position in a hallway behind and leading to the big theater. I had to announce with a burst of hallway light that I was going to go pee.

5) The lights come on as soon as the credits start rolling, and everybody immediately stands up and leaves. No contemplation of the film you just saw; just keep it moving.

It was still fun though, and the movie was good.

Next week is Thanksgiving week. I'm hoping my throat will feel better so I don't have to miss any of it.

As for prayer requests, pray for two things. And I'll list em, because apparently this is a listing blog:

1) Pray for my witness. Pray that I'll have more opportunities to share God's love. I've met cool people here, and my heart especially goes out to the locals I've befriended.

2) Pray for me to be strong. All believers fight against sin and the dark spiritual forces. I feel like I have a nemesis. Like yeah, pride is a big one. He's my Penguin. Purity is my Riddler. But doubt and anxiety is my Joker. And especially now, in my current place in life and the decisions I have to make, I'm facing off with my own doubt a lot these days, and he's a powerful opponent. Of course, God provides me with everything I need to defeat it. So just pray that my confidence will grow in the strength of God.

Oh, and pray I'll get better fast! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christian, I found your blog through Jeremy (the guy you met in Xiamen) and just read through your posts! It sounds like you're having a great time in Shanghai. I lived in Chengde (which is NE of Beijing) last school year. Now, I'm back in Iowa for a little bit and will be heading back to China for next semester. It's great to hear of another believer doing the teaching thing. :)

    ReplyDelete